Canada Old Age Security Plan (OAS)
- Starts at 65 you must apply in writing
- Must be a citizen or legal resident of Canada
- Must have 10 years of residence in Canada after age 18
- There are reciprocal agreements with many countries
- Do NOT self-screen - just apply
Payment outside Canada:
Once a full or partial Old Age Security pension has been approved, it may be paid indefinitely outside Canada, if the pensioner has lived in Canada for at least 20 years after reaching 18 years of age. Otherwise, payment may be made only for the month of a pensioner's departure from Canada and for six additional months, after which payment is suspended. The benefit may be reinstated if the pensioner returns to live in Canada and meets all conditions of eligibility.